A Banyule Business initiative to support local small business.
Banyule Council’s COVID-19 Response – Community and Business Support Package 2020-2021 was passed at the Council Meeting on Monday 6 April. Included in this package was a program to help boost the local economy by encouraging residents to shop locally for their goods and services.
In the Council Meeting on Monday 6 July, Council passed the COVID-19 Response Package 2020-2021 shop local six-month initiative, branded as Rediscover Local.
A 2020 Shopping Behaviour Survey was distributed to residents to understand current shopping behaviour and attitudes and understand what would encourage them to shop locally more often.
507 residents completed the survey. From the results three key directions were identified:
- Residents wanted a central Banyule business directory so they could find small businesses in their neighbourhood easily
- While consumers liked the idea that shopping locally supported local businesses and jobs, they identified that offers would help them shop locally more often and trial new businesses.
- Residents wanted more variety in product and service offerings in Banyule.
From the insights, the Rediscover Local campaign was developed and includes:
- Rediscover Local Directory (interactive business directory)
- Little book of Banyule offers (monthly offers to consumers and businesses)
- Social media pages (Facebook and Instagram)
- Spotlight videos to shine a light on small businesses
While the support offered through this campaign will benefit all businesses in Banyule, there will be a focus on neighbourhood centres and business parks who do not already benefit from of Council’s Special Rates and Charges Program.
The campaign was launched on Monday 17 August 2020 and will be monitored and periodically reported to determine the impact the campaign has had on residents’ attitudes towards shopping locally and subsequent shopping behaviour.